Wednesday 22 June 2011

Strawberry cream Eggless Cake

At my place the major consumer of cakes. chocolates, cookies and generally all sweets are my lil daughter and me...so as a policy I dont bake unless I have to ;)...cause after feeding one slice each to my family of 4....rest is always gobbled by the two of us mom n daughter duo!!
But then today was my son's big day and what better way to celebrate my dear son's birthday than presenting him with a surprise bday party with his childhood friends... aunties and  uncle who dote on him...and cook his favorite food...
It was a day when my husband and I couldnt eat eggs, so I decided to add this eggless blackforest cake to the surprise...but blackforest---it was not to be..:(.. I dint get any cherries....canned or fresh...!!!  but Strawberries...yes they were available.....:))


I have baked eggless cakes from scratch for friend's birthdays and other celebrations...but today I decided to try baking with the cakemix...I have heard that it turns out quite nice especially if u want to ice n decorate it afterwards...So devil's food cake of Bretty Crocker it was..for the base....the surprising thing about these cakes are that they dont call for any egg or OIL/BUTTER to be incorporated in the recipe...! I thot it odd that I bake without any of these..but then  had to try...and I am so glad I did...the result was amazing...


For recipe...


1 pkt devil's food cakemix
315ml/10 oz coke/vanilla coke
oil for greasing the cake tin


for Icing/filling


300 ml whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp icing sugar
strawberries--about 300 grams
chocolate shavings for decoration
3 tbsp water mixed with 1 tbsp icing sugar


Mix the  cakemix with the coke (No egg, oil or water to be added) and bake it as per instructions on the packet...about 180 deg c. Once you finish baking insert a skewer to make sure that the cake is completely cooked (when the skewer comes out clean)
Let it cool completely. Cut it  from the middle. gently lift up one side of the cake and push a flat plate or cake board in between and seperate them.
 for icing...... Beat the cream, vanilla and icing sugar till stiff. 
Cut most of the strawberries (keep some aside for final decoration if you want). 


Before filling the cake sprinkle the water mixed in icing sugar on both pieces of the cake to moisten them.
decorate the straberries in the bottom part of the cake and spread 1/2 of the cream on it generously.
Place the top part of the cake and repeat as above. decorate further with more strawberries and sprinkle the chocolate shavings for one of the most delicious of cakes...!


The finished cake
PS: Left over strawberries and some whipped cream can be refrigerated to be eaten next day or day after...they are the best combo dessert on a hot day after lunch or dinner......

No comments:

Post a Comment